Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What HAIR PRODUCTS do you use?
This is probably the most asked question on my YouTube channel. What products am I using currently, or what products would I recommend? These are it! I try to keep this fairly well updated.
You will also see most of these mentioned (non-high end) in the Curly Girl Method Beginner's Kit video:
Shampoo that's used occasionally:
- Shea Moisture Curl n Shine Shampoo (Target, drugstores)
- DevaCurl No Poo (ULTA, curlmart.com)
- Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo (Curlmart.com)
- Suave naturals coconut or ocean breeze conditioner (drugstore)
- Giovanni triple tea treat conditioner (whole foods, target, ULTA)
- Tressemme naturals nourishing conditioner (drugstore)
- Sally's GVP matrix biolage conditioner balm (sally's beauty supply)
- Andalou naturals citrus shine conditioner (life pharmacy in the UAE)
- L'oreal total repair masque and conditioner (drugstore in the UAE)
- Kinky curly knot today (whole foods, Target, or CurlMart.com)
- As I Am Naturally Leave in Conditioner (sally's beauty supply)
- Curly hair solutions curl keeper (CurlMart.com)
- CVS Generic Personal Lubricant or KY Lubricant (drugstores)
- Aussie instant freeze gel (drugstore) - for lower dew points (0-30 F)
- LA Looks Sport gel (drugstore) - year round
- Original Moxie Hold Up Serum (originalmoxie.com)
- Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel (jessicurl.com)
- Curl Junkie Curl Rehab (curlmart.com)
- DevaCurl Heave in Hair (ulta or curlmart.com)
- Honey + Natural Oils + GVP matrix conditioning balm (Sally's)
- DIY tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spdup2Txy_s
- Conditioner + brown sugar mixture for exfoliating dry, flaky scalp
- Aloe vera for soothing/moisturizing dry or itchy scalp
- Lemon juice rinses for clarification, shine, and resetting PH
What's your HAIR TYPE?
3a/3b, low to medium porosity, medium thickness with a lot of it
What's your CURLY HAIR ROUTINE?
The video linked below is a great place to start if you are new to my videos and curious about how I care for my hair. I walk through my routine/products/various basic videos step by step.
How do you STYLE YOUR CURLS?
My styling routine and how I apply products has not changed in years. Please check out the video:
How do you DRY YOUR HAIR?
Most days I "plop" or put my hair up in a t-shirt:
But I might also use a diffuser and a blowdryer with this method:
WHAT CAMERA DO YOU USE?
MacBook webcam - used for the low quality videos
Canon PowerShot A496 - better quality videos ( but grainy) before february 2012
Canon SX40 - autofocus and HD quality videos; after March 20, 2012
MY CURLY HAIR IS FRIZZY/DRY/UNDEFINED/UNMANAGEABLE? What should I do?
My first recommendation is always going to be to learn about and try the curly girl method!
Of if you prefer to read about the CG method, check out mywritten, step-by-step guide on wikiHow.
ABOUT SUGGESTING VIDEO IDEAS:
I'm always open to video requests, so please let me know if you have one, while keeping in mind:
- Don't forget to SEARCH MY VIDEOS FIRST! I have made over 100 videos about curly hair, so it's always possible that I have already made the video you are requesting. My videos are organized into playlist on my channel page, and there is a search box in the upper right.
- You are welcome to suggest products for review, but I don't review hair products that contain silicones or sulfates (aka non-curly girl products.) Also I am a college student, so I don't have the budget to try out tons of different high end brand products, or even all the drugstore products I would like to try. :) Good hair care is about the principles behind the products and knowing the ingredients, not necessarily specific product brands.
- I can only give so much advice for people that don't have curly hair similar to my own. I'm sorry, but I can't make a video about wavy hair, kinky hair, oily hair, or short hair etc... because I don't have that kind of hair!
ABOUT ASKING HAIR QUESTIONS:
Feel free to ask me questions! :) I created my Facebook page to be a place where people could ask questions, as well as a place for others to weigh in. If you don't feel comfortable posting a question on my Facebook wall, you can also send me a Private Message on Facebook or send an email to waterlilyvlogs -at- gmail.com. I like answering questions and I don't find them annoying... but please keep in mind:
- If you are asking for general help with your hair please EXPLAIN YOUR CURRENT HAIR ROUTINE, the products you're using, how you apply them, specifically what problems you have, etc. I can't give you a diagnosis without any symptoms to work with! :)
- Please take a look at the FAQ and search through my videos beforehand. And if I refer you to a video please watch it in its entirety. I dislike being made to "spoon feed" someone the same information that is already in a video I have provided. Of course I am happy to explain things further or in a different way, AFTER someone has watched the video.
- If you want me to determine whether a product is Curly Girl method approved or not, please send me a link where the ingredients are listed or an INGREDIENTS LIST. I do not know whether every product brand that has every been made is CG or not. ;)
MORE CURLY HAIR LINKS AND RESOURCES
- Got curl? The curly girl page (outdated product recs)
- Laura Lee's All In One Guide to Going CG
- NaturallyCurly.com's CurlTalk Forums aka a great community based around curly hair
- Live Curly, Live Free - great basic curly hair info, porosity, density, home recipes
- Tightly Curly - "conditioner only" method
- Curly Girl Approved Product Lists
- Girl With Curl's List of CG Products (side of blog)
- Healthy Curls List of CG Products
- Please keep in mind that lists of "curly girl approved" products can be outdated because products are frequently reformulated. Always double check the ingredients on the back of the bottle!
- NaturallyCurly.com's list of hair product ingredients
- "Curly Girl: The Handbook" (2nd edition) by Lorraine Massey - tips, tricks, recipes, THE curly girl method book
- "Strictly Curls" by Nicole Siri - lots of fun hairstyles designed for curls
Wishing you a good hair day,